07 February 2009

Have breakfast with the Capt'n.

I was watching Triple D last night (Diner's, Drive Ins and Dives) on the Food Network and saw this breakfast treat. I picked up what I needed last night during my grocery aquisition excursion (aka grocery shopping trip). They didn't mention amounts on the show, just ingredients. I did manage to find a good attempt at the recipe though.

This morning... we dined on this... (mind you, when I made it, it looked NOTHING like this). I'll work on my plating / presentation after i've made it more than once).

I cut the recipe in half however because my g/f and I cannot eat 10 slices of this ALONE. Lol. We barely made it through 2 slices a piece with strawberries and whipped cream. Great carmelized sugar on the french toast because of the cereal and the acid from the strawberries was perfect. I tried both powdered sugar and whipped cream on different slices and actually enjoyed them both equally. I'm such a big fan of whipped cream though I would probably go that route when making it again. 



Here's the recipe I used this AM. It was AWESOME.


Cap’n Crunch French Toast 


4 cups Cap’n Crunch original cereal (no Crunch Berries)
10 slices Texas bread (thick sliced bread)
4 eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
10 tablespoons butter
Whipped cream for topping
1 pint strawberries
½ pound seedless grapes

Place the cereal in a casserole dish and crunch it into crumbs with the bottom of a glass.
Mix the eggs, heavy cream, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon together and place in a shallow dish. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Take 1 slice of bread, dip both sides in the egg mixture, then coast with the Cap’n Crunch crumbs. Cook each side 2-3 minutes until light brown. Repeat for the other 9 slices of bread.

Stack 2 French toasts on the center of the plate. Top with a generous helping of whipped cream and strawberries and grapes.
Makes 5 servings.

No comments: