21 June 2010

Toy Story 3 - Movie Review.


TOY STORY 3 - MOVIE REVIEW

I've been 'toying' with the idea of writing this review after seeing it this past Friday night.

I was really upset, disappointed and angered by this movie.

I'm not going to go into extreme detail until the movie has been out for a decent amount of time and I
won't be spoiling anything.

Background: Toy Story 2 is in my Top 5 favorite movies (the rest are for another days blog). Buzz is my favorite Disney character. I act like a 5 year old when I see him at Disneyland and ALWAYS wait in line to take a picture with him (usually the only adult without a child of their own). I use Toy Story jokes in my daily life.

Years ago when TS3 was just a rumor, I was giddy.
When trailers were released, I went crazy.
I counted the days until the premiere and bought tickets for opening day.

Then more characters get released, and this little piece of my childhood makes his debut on the Toy Story official website.
Peas In A Pod.
One of my favorite toys (more of a stuffed animal) as a kid.
Cut to a few days before seeing the show - I read some sneak peek reviews that the movie has an 'evil' character and I prepare myself to be bummed one toy is on the dark side.

Actual movie: Thank god I didn't come with a child. If I was a parent now, I would have headed to TS3 with my child, no hesitation. It's Pixar. It's Disney. It's the best setup for any kids movie.

WRONG!

What was it? A letdown. A screw up. A colossal shit show.

Pixar took everything I love about Toy Story - the laughs, the good lessons, the the redemption of a seemingly evil character (who in the end just turns out to be good at heart and a tad mislead) - and destroyed it.

Without giving too much away, I will say...
Pixar wasn't true to their characters (Andy or his toys).
Pixar wasn't true to the characters relationships.
Pixar made a dark and sinister movie with cult-like vibes undertoning the dynamics between the 'bad' toys and Nazi undertones between the 'bad' and 'good' toys.

Perhaps I can be accused of reading too much into this, but I have to be hard on TS3.

Pixar gave me high expectations.
Pixar made me believe movies can be magical.

Pixar taught me on Friday that eventually, high standards come crashing to the ground... and break into smithereens.

Epic Fail Pixar. Epic Fail.

No comments: