To set the stage before I jump in - read this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BART_Police_shooting_of_Oscar_GrantThe verdict? 'Involuntary manslaughter' which basically means, "whoops I shot someone."
The reaction? Outrage. People took to the streets of Oakland to demand justice.

I believe that people should take action with their words and not their fists. That said, the protestors are standing up against a gross miscarriage of justice.
I am saddened that there were protests because close friends, who I consider family, are first responders in the Bay Area. They have been in training for weeks for today to come. I was hoping they would stay on the SF side and never be dispatched to the East Bay. Today, they left their daughter with a babysitter to stand on guard as a city burns with physical fires and inner passion.

Sadly, they were. There were arrests. Stores were vandalized. Looting occurred.
At the end, Grant is still dead and a BART cop, sworn to protect citizens, is driven off in a squad car wearing a bulletproof vest.
A vest? God forbid the same crime he committed be committed against him.
I don't want to hear the race card. This isn't a race issue... unless you mean THE HUMAN RACE.
This should never have happened.
(IMAGES COURTESY OF SJ MERCURY NEWS)
No comments:
Post a Comment