My birthday started out pretty mellow. Woke up early so we could get to our 10am appt in Sacramento to test drive a car for my girl.
Leave the house around 7:30 and get stuck behind an accident at 8:00. We aren't even OUT of Reno and we're PARKED on the highway. I sit for almost 30 minutes before I spaz out and pull off on the closest exit. We turn around and head all the way back to our house so we can leave town a different way (past Mt. Rose and Lake Tahoe). We spend almost 45 minutes driving back and then over Mt. Rose highway. We get back on 80 and we seem to be making good time.
We're starving and we need to gas up the car, so we pull over to a gas station. I check the fluids (oil, coolant, etc) as we're parking filling up since we were waiting in dead stop traffic for 30 minutes in 100+ degree heat. My hands get dirty checking everything so while Nicole waits for our food (fast food places at gas stations... yum... or not) I head into the restroom to wash my hands. As i'm walking towards the sink I notice an older lady with a teenage girl hanging on her. The kid is leaned all the way on top of her and complaining she doesn't feel good. I see her face go white and I tell the grandma "She's going to faint." I had only one of my arms under her as she faints into me. No sooner said than done huh?
I get her propped up and we start cooling her down with water and paper towels. I sit with them for awhile until she's alert and doing well and then Nicole and I take off again on the road trip from hell. We've already called to tell the sales guy we're going to be late and to make a new appt. He's super cool about it so we say 11. By this time it's like 10:30 and we're still at least an hour away.
We wind up calling him two more times before we get there around 11:45.
We take the test drive (I ride along, my girl takes the test drive) and we head inside to fill out all the paperwork and buy her a new car.
We finish up the first part and the sales guy heads off to get the rest of it in order... problem... nobody is in the office. They are all out back having a BBQ for a quarterly meeting.
So Stan, our sales guy, sets the paperwork down and grabs us for a BBQ. We head into the service area / engine bay, and grab some food. Burgers, chips, mac salad, watermelon, the whole BBQ spread. We're sitting eating at the tables with the sales guys, mechanics, parts dept guys, EVERYONE, as their GM talks about "sales strategies in a slow economy." We felt so weird crashing their meeting, but hey, it was quite interesting.
After awhile we head back in, finish the paperwork and Nicole, my girlfriend, gets the keys. After they detail the car they pull it up right in front of the door and the Audi sign so we can get some pic's of Nicole and her new ride. She's ecstatic at this point and giddy that she's driving home a new car. We snap a few pic's of her with Stan and a million of her with the car (I can never take enough pic's) and then we take off.
Nicole with her A6 S-Line 2.7L turbo. Yes, I have an addiction to Turbo engines incase you weren't sure! =)
We make a little detour to IKEA to pick up a few odds and ends we need for the house and then hit the road again.
We run into 2 or 3 rounds of road construction, some accidents, some general stupid driver issues and a normally hour and 1/2 to hour and 45 minute trip is now pushing 3 hours.
Finally, after what felt like YEARS in the car, we make it to Reno, grab some dinner with a few friends and head home to pass out.
Glad Nicole's new car is comfy because only minutes after buying it she was trapped in it for 4 hours. haha.
2 comments:
Haha, it's only a road trip if there are some mishaps, but it sounds like they didnt' ruin your day. Glad to hear that you got everything accomplished on your birthday, and i can't wait to see you guys, are you ever c oming out to visit lonely ol' me??
nice! i wish i had an audi!
Post a Comment