Round II of the holiday wrap up.
Spent the day in Washington DC. Had our sights set on doing a few specific things and managed to do most of them, but not all. That's what happens when you sleep in a super comfy hotel bed and don't get up until 10am. haha.
Drove to the METRO station closest to the house we were crashing in that night and took the METRO into DC.
First stop - The Botanical Gardens.
They have replicas, done completely of natural materials (twigs, leaves, berries, nuts, etc) of all the monuments on the National Mall.
US Capitol Building

The White House.

The Smithsonian Institute Castle.

The real Capitol.

Then we cruised over (Via taxi because it was FREEZING outside) to the White House. I refused to take a picture at the White House because I am not a fan of the current administration... I digress...
This is the National Christmas Tree. It is in front of the White House and surrounded by 50+ smaller trees, one for each state and several US Territories. Each tree is decorated by school kids, a church or some sort of community organization from the state it represents. The Nevada tree was lame - no surprise there.

Then we escaped the cold with some lunch and Caribou Coffee. I live for CC. I really, REALLY wish we had it here. It seriously KILLS Starbucks. I make sure to grab some CC ANYTIME I am near one. This one happens to be across the street from the White House so it's always an easy stop when we are in DC.
We spent the night @ a family friends of my girls that night and then hit the road in the AM. It's usually only a 4 or so hour drive but we hit TONS of traffic, accidents and road construction and it took FOREVER to get home.
Then we finally made it back home... cookie making to follow.
No comments:
Post a Comment