11 June 2008

Chaos.

The last few days have been crazy. 

Woke up Monday morning ready for my first day of summer school. Some repairs were being done at the house we're selling, so I thought i'd head over to that side of town early and check out the house before I went to school.

Before I had even made breakfast, I received a phone call from my realtor. She had gone over to let the repair people in and had found damaged window screens hanging off two of the downstairs windows. Now, normally this wouldn't be a big deal since we have been having earthquakes, BUT she said that they had obviously been tampered with. So I told her to set them inside the garage and either my g/f or I would pick them up later and grab replacements ASAP. Why the rush? The walk through for the new owners was scheduled firmly on Tuesday afternoon. Now i'm not only stressed about whether they will change their mind in general, but will they change their mind when they realize (if they realize) that someone tried to break into their future home.

I got stuck in the middle of paperwork and phone calls for the next few hours and still hadn't made it over to pick up the screens, so my g/f dropped me off at school and headed over to the house. Partway into my class I get text messages telling me that every home supply store in town sends screens out to be made and that nobody keeps them in stock. Better to piss off 100% of their customers than to stock a few "run of the mill" sizes and only piss off 90% of their customers. My girl calls our realtor and explains the situation. She says we'll order new ones if the buyers request it. Other than that, we'll leave em' down. (Does that make me a bad person?!?! haha)

I stress all day (even through my ridiculous first day of class) about whether or not the house is safe. This is crunch time people, if anything happens to the house all this hard work and effort to make this offer / sale work will be in vain.

So we decide we should spend the night at the old house. Sleeping bag. Books. Just bite the bullet and make sure someone knows the house isn't forgotten. Now, let's preface this by saying that this house is in a residential neighborhood with homes ALL around. Typical track home setting. It's not lying vacant off a back road in the deep woods. 

Suburban America people... truly, the suburbs. With the way the economy is going though, even crime in daylight in the suburbs is on the rise. I just found out yesterday from my lawn / landscaper that an entire neighborhood was burglarized and vandalized out in a nearby city - all in one night!

So, back to the story... we head over in the early evening with some cleaning supplies just to make sure the place looks spic' and span. We spend a few hours cleaning and then we head across the street and chat with the BEST NEIGHBORS in the world ( We will miss you guys so much. You were the kindest, most thoughtful people ever - I hope the new neighbors love you as much as we do!!).  Then we go get Sonic for dinner (whooooo hoooo banana milkshake --- I deserved to be bad and eat fast food!!) and come home. We ate in the kitchen on the granite countertops we put in AFTER moving out. Finally got my moneys worth! haha.

Have you ever realized how truly boring and unnerving it is to be in an empty house? 

I love to read... apparently not when it is my ONLY option though. My girl and I talked and talked and talked until I was too tired to keep my eyes open and decided to get some sleep -- or at least that was the plan.

ALL night. ALL night I was awake. I think I got about an hour of sleep... maybe.

We had planned on waking up and leaving around 6 because I had a dr's appt by our new house at 8 and needed to make breakfast and take a shower and all that. My poor g/f was about ready to kill me by the time 5 am rolled around. She had basically as grand an evening of sleep as I did and I was EXTREMELY anxious to go home. My old house didn't feel like home anymore. At 5:15, after asking her every 5 minutes if we could go home yet, she caved.. we we're packed up and back home in less than 45 minutes. 

Here comes the continued fun. 

I head to my Dr's appt at 8 and my girl crashes out for a few hours sleep. She is supposed to go meet the window repair guys at the old house at 11 so I don't have to worry about meeting them and being late to school. I come home from my dr and she is on the couch saying her tooth hurts. It had been bugging her for a few days, but not this bad. So I call the dentist and leave a message to see if they can sneak her in that day (tues) and see if she needs a root canal or if she has a cavity or whatever. She takes some medicine and passes back out.

I head over to the old house to meet the window people. A half hour past appt time they aren't there. I call to see what's going on... to which their reply is "We don't have the truck with your windows yet, so uhm, yeah, it may, well, uhm, maybe this afternoon. Can you just stay there and we can call when we know more?"

No, I can't just sit here and wait for you guys to figure it all out.

So I head home... BEYOND irritated. 

As i'm headed home I call the dentist again and she says to bring my girl in now she has time. I get home and apparently they called her too and gave her an appt time. I tell her to just head to her appt and i'll take care of the windows before school and then just go to the house after school to check again. (long story with the realtor and other stuff made this a viable option at the time). I make lunch and am about to take my first bite when my girl calls to tell me the realtor can't make it so I need to go right now and let them in or the realtor is just going to leave a key under the mat. 

HELLO!?!?! Was I the only one who remembers that YESTERDAY we realized someone tried to break in??

Next logical step, give the bastards a key!?!? No way.

So I toss my food back in the fridge and start headed across town to the house. I get a call from the realtor as i'm driving telling me the buyers agent is going to meet them, let them in and inspect their work. No worries about keys or job completion. 

BASTARDS!! I'm already in the car... on the other side of town, now 1 1/2 hours before my class... and hungry... and sleepy.

My girl calls and tells me the dentist told her to pull the tooth -- it's too bad to save and that she's at the oral surgeon next door and they are going to do it today. She's nervous and scared and doesn't do well with ANYTHING dealing with the dentist and I can hear the fear in her voice. I head straight to the dentist (luckily on the same side of town I was on already haha). I find her in the waiting room, nervous and frustrated. I decide to skip class and stay with her so I can make sure everything goes well and she doesn't get too nervous or sick. 

Surgery goes well, she even feels ok enough to drive home since they didn't sedate her. She heads home and I head off to get her some food she can actually eat and get her med's filled. Food and meds in hand (after about 2 hours of waiting and trying not to nod off to sleep or pass out from starvation) I get home. We get some food in her tummy (and mine) and she takes her meds. Within an hour she's passed out on the couch sleeping. About 3 1/2 hours later she wakes up and starts throwing up. She's upset and apologetic that she's sick and feels miserable. All I can think is how adorable it is that she's worried and sorry she's sick not that she feels horrible and wishes she could just go to sleep and forget all of this.

She finally gets a food/ medicine combo that works and heads to sleep. I finally get to sleep around 2am.

Then I wake up at 6:45 to begin my day of homework, paperwork, home sale closing docs, bills and house drama.

I need a beer... or a case... and it's only 1:07pm.

Beer shall wait... i'm off to school.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ggoddamnn! that was way too much happening for me to deal with lol