20 June 2008

Last night + this AM.

So yesterday after summer school my girl and I met a few friends at the Thursday Night farmers market in Victorian Square in Sparks. I only went a few times last year (when the same people made us come) and it was pretty decent. Hung out, played pool, had a few (too many) drinks... decent way to spend a Thursday night.
Last night however... weird. 

If you know me in person (aka REAL life...haha) you know that I am NOT, I repeat NOT, the "flag waiving, sticker on my car, look at me i'm gay" type of person.

Yesterday, I almost wished I was. 

My girl and I are walking down the street at the Farmers market (it takes over a few blocks of a main street and closes the street down for vendors and stages and whatever else) and people are staring at me like i've got an organ grinding monkey on my head begging for peanuts. SERIOUSLY. 

I'm letting it slide off, not caring (it's my new mellow me) and then I come pretty close to losing it. An older man (mid 40's i'd say) walking with his wife walks past my girl and I. As we cross eachothers paths I notice he stares rather intently at me. Usually with that age group I don't encounter that. Most people that age got the "don't stare, it's rude" memo and took it to heart. I glance back at him as he walks past to see if he is still looking and I see quite clearly why he started at me. He's wearing a tshirt that has this logo on the back....




I have to admit, I was pretty taken aback. Now, call me sheltered, call me lucky, whatever. I have NEVER experienced any type of negativity. I spent 24 years in the Bay Area - growing up, coming to terms with my life, all that... surrounded my acceptance and love. 

Now I move to BFE, USA and i'm practically walking around with a target on my back. 

I was really irritated by the shirt and decided to check out their website when I woke up.

Much to my chagrin I find this statement proudly displayed on their website...

Save America, and protect our children and marriage from the radical gay agenda. 

Maybe I missed something, but what's my agenda again? Was that memo supposed to come with the toaster I never received? Damn it... how am I supposed to be a radical, militant gay if nobody provides the literature and world domination check list to me??

Anyways... it made me sad. I really didn't feel like I would deal with this here. Maybe I have just been so fortunate in life as to be surrounded by awesome family, friends, co workers and fellow students that something like this sends a chill down my spine pretty easily.



So, moving onwards and upwards I leave you with a few happier photos... courtesy of the camera phone.



Last night, driving home from the Farmers Market. GSR lit up all "purdy."


This AM.... Vail angry I turned on the light to study. I interrupted his beauty sleep apparently. I think he's over it now though because he's snoring beside me as I study. =)

Photobucket


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dood we are totally the same when it comes to gay pride and shit lol but when someone does something stupid like that you kinda lose it. i totally understand where your coming from

destruktive dan said...

try being called eminem daily.
and it's usually from other white people in long beach...I DON'T GET IT!!! LAST TIME I CHECKED...THE DEFINITION OF WIGGER IS NOT ME.
sorry i had to vent for a second.

i feel you though..it sucks that people think that way.
if i see a gay couple, i wont stare..i just think to myself..damn they got balls to hold hands down the road..good shit..you never see that anymore...people are too afraid to show their true selves in public.
..and i'm the gayest dude there is...somewhat.
just ask lisa.